Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Movies you must see: Memoirs of a Geisha



I'm sure a lot of you have heard about this movie, written based off the book Memoirs of Geisha by Arthur Golden, which came out in 2005. The movie/book is basically about a girl from a poor fishing village whose parents pass away, which leads to her being sold into the Geisha business, and becomes a famous and most prized Geisha. The time is during the 1950's, after post World War II, while Americans were occupying Japan. Many eager soldiers came to the Geisha for sex, which is where the westerners got the idea of Geisha's being prostitutes. This is one of the many very interesting (and true) facts in the book.
     Being one of my favorite movies/books, I thought I'd give you a little perspective on it. Arthur Golden actually based this fiction book off of Mineko Iwasaki's book. (I had originally read Memoirs first, and while reading Geisha, A Life, It seemed eerily similar. I come to find they actually were matched closely.)
     It's worth your time to read or watch the movie, so I suggest you get off your ass and do it. (:




Source:
"Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - IMDb." The Internet Movie Database (IMDb). Web. 01 May 2011. <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397535/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment